license suggestions?

kosh kosh at aesaeion.com
Sun Jul 8 16:31:51 EDT 2001

Chris Watson wrote:

>> This seems really strange to me. So you are saying you can integrate it
>> into any proprietary product without problems? You can intergrate it into
>> perl, python etc with their various licenses. Why do you specifically not
>> want anyone to integrate it with GPL code but allow everything else?
>
> Strange? Not that I dont know where this will end up but how is wanting to
> keep the GPL (which would add restrictions to my code that *I* did not
> place on it) from infecting my licensed code strange? I release everyone
> can choose their OWN licenses. I have NO problem with that. The thing's I
> have problems with are the fact that A) you can GPL BSD licensed code.
> Which I do NOT want to happen or I would of GPL'ed it in the first place.
> To butcher a Roger Waters song "Keep your filthy GPL off my desert". :-)
> B) I fail to see how someone coming along and GPL'ing my code without my
> permission is fair. Or ethicly right. Now had I used a standard 2 clause
> FreeBSD license I would have no recourse to bi*ch about that. Since the
> BSD license allows for that. So instead of bit*hing about it I just a 3rd
> clause effectivlely saying "Sorry GPL people go play elsewhere". The
> license as shown above places no restrictions on "code use". Simply the
> licensing terms. Nothing more or less. You can do whatever you wish with
> the code. Make it binary only and keep your secret modifications secret,
> release them with source, whatever you wish. You just can't add any
> restrictions to my code. Like the GPL. Or you would violate the license
> and I will sue you. Everyone can choose to license their code as they see
> fit it's a free country. I simple dont want the GPL to inflict itself on
> my code or I would of licensed it under the GPL to begin with. :-)
> Some of us like capitolsim more then communism. *shrug*
>
> Chris

That is not really what the license says though. With that license you
can't integrate it with anything. If you put it in a closed source product
it would have a more restrictive license and thus couldn't be used that way.

Also no one can make your code GPL. Your code is always under the license
you released it under. However the GPL would make the entire collection GPL
if GPL code were released with it. That really is no different then
including BSD code in a closed source product since the closed source
license takes precedence.

That capitalism/communism thing is FUD and I hope people grow up and stop
using it.