Eiffel better than Python ?

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 3 17:55:04 EDT 2001

"Franz GEIGER" <fgeiger at datec.at> wrote in message
news:9hsnd3$7h3$1 at newsreaderg1.core.theplanet.net...
> I am curious: What do you Haskell use for?

Never used it "in anger" (i.e. either for $$ gain, or [successfully] for
research into contract bridge, my One True Love:-).  Just played
around with various FP toys in fascination, emerging with a strong
impression that Haskell is far and away the most elegant one (not
necessarily "most practical" or "most powerful" -- haven't looked
into O'Haskell, and did TRY to grasp O'Caml but I can't see the
elegance or whatever... seems as accretion-laden as C++ to me).

> I know that your bag of tools contain at least Python, (MSV)C++, MSVB, and
> Haskell. Curious again: How do you use your bag of tools?

C++ (currently in the MSV incarnation) pays my rent (and much
besides) since it's the main development language at the SW
house I work for (think3, inc) and internal teaching & consulting
on C++ (and other technological issues -- COM & related ones
first and foremost, &c) is among my main roles as Senior SW
Consultant there.  VB is starting to see growing use in ancillary
roles (and some customer-delivered software, e.g. the integration
of our PDM tool with Autocad uses the latter's built-in VBA and
related Automation Object Model).  Python is what I use and
suggest every time I get a chance and it's starting to replace
Perl internally in system administration tools, testing setups,
and general scripting (but not in customer-delivered SW, so
far).  Python is also what I use (together with some C++ COMponents
& Boost Python-extensions for speed) in my contract-bridge research
now (having entirely rewritten the mixture of Perl, C and custom
ad hoc languages I had ended up with over the years).

I'm not currently coding in Haskell (pity) or other languages
I know.  Except for a little Javascript (as little as I can get
away with -- oh how I *DETEST* the beast!) in Dynamic
HTML pages I have to write sometime...

Alex