The Evolution Of Python

James Logajan JamesL at Lugoj.Com
Sat Jul 28 13:48:47 EDT 2001

Ben C wrote:

> In the ecosystem of programming languages I think that the argument
> "Oh you can't change that as it will break all my existing code"
> should not be used to stagnate the evolution of a language ... and
> infact if you think about it is quite selfish ... to have Python
> evolve will require a some effort from everyone who activley uses the
> language ... if it means reworking some code then so be it ... or if
> 1.X is the niche you like then stick with it ...

Fascinating inversion of the role of a computer language, IMHO. I'm curious,
who else subscribes to this view?

[ On language change options: ]
> b\ Try not to change the language to keep maximum retrospective
> compatibility == stagnates the language (see Rexx==dinosaur )

b.1\ Or K&R C (in which Python was written for a long time to maximize
portability) or ANSI C (which tried to maintain compatibility with K&R). A
case where stagnation helped lead to success.

In what language Python would have been written had 'C' not existed, if it
had come to exist at all, would make for entertaining "what if" scenarios.
Maybe Pascal? Or assembly?