A modest PEP0238 suggestion

Steve Horne sh at ttsoftware.co.uk
Wed Jul 25 06:29:48 EDT 2001

On Wed, 25 Jul 2001 10:22:44 +0200 (MET DST), Mikael Olofsson
<mikael at isy.liu.se> wrote:

>On 25-Jul-2001 Stephen Horne wrote:
> >  I don't mind rationals, but they are a continuous measure.
>
>No, they are not. The reals are continuous. The rationals are a subset
>of the reals. Don't let the fact that there are infinitely many rationals
>in every finite interval fool you to believe that the rationals are
>continuous.

Technically true, but current uze of floats and presumably any use of
rationals would be as a stand-in for true continuous values.

Rationals would be expected to be exact (on the assumption that the
inputs are exact, anyway), but they are only discrete in the same
sense that floats are discrete.

--
Steve Horne
Home : steve at lurking.demon.co.uk