license suggestions?

Chris Watson chris at voodooland.net
Mon Jul 9 09:42:08 EDT 2001

> What software do you publish under this license?

Whatever code I feel like releasing to the public.

> Say you write a program, B, under this license.
>
> I then make some modifications to B, creating MB. I license my modifications
> under the GPL.
>
> B is still your license.

Correct, the *original work* is still B and under ym license.

> But anyone wanting to link code to MB must GPL it.
>
> How does this differ from if B was licensed under the regular BSDL?

Court time. You will not be able to GPL MB. Regardless if it contains GPL
code. You have conflicting licenses. The GPL says MB must be GPL in its
entirety and my section of code prevents it from falling under the GPL
because it places further restrictions on it. Time to go to court and get
it resolved. In which case they either uphold my license, and throw the
GPL out as illegal, or they uphold the GPL and throw mine out. There can
only be two outcomes. Which would be good because I would like to see the
GPL get into court. Finally see if it stands up in court.

Chris