Typing system vs. Java

Chris Barker chrishbarker at home.net
Mon Jul 30 14:39:38 EDT 2001

Tim Hammerquist wrote:

> > > From what I hear about Python, it is weakly-typed like Perl.
> >
> > Python is dynamically typed, and NOT like Perl!
>
> Could someone elaborate on this a bit more?  What is the difference
> here?  What makes Perl's typing _not_ dynamic?  I've heard this
> statement often in clpy, but do not understand the semantics of the
> argument.
>
> However, Perl's typing system is much more flexible (read:
> context-sensitive) than Python's.

I didn't mean to say that Perl was not dynamicly typed. What I meant to
say was:

a) Python is dynamically typed, as opposed to weakly typed
b) Python's typing is not like Perl's typing, as you just said yourself.

Whether or not Perl's typing is best described as "dynamic" or "weak" is
a question I will leave to others that are more familiar with Perl than
I.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker,