int(a), b = divmod(x, y)

Ken Seehof kens at sightreader.com
Wed Jul 25 21:00:50 EDT 2001

No, it's just that the syntax makes no sense in python.

It would also, of course, be invalid to say:
int(a) = 5.2    # hoping for a=5

This is not the same as a = int(5.2) and it would seem really wierd to
me if it were.  Then again, from a C++ point of view, any syntax that
is currently illegal is a natural candidate for a new syntax feature :-).
But python is not C++, so I'm afraid you'll have to settle for something
less terse and more clear.

a,b = divmod(x,y)
a = int(a)

- Ken