A modest PEP0238 suggestion

Glen Wheeler wheelege at tsn.cc
Wed Jul 25 06:31:13 EDT 2001

> Dead serious apps don't take chances, and there are no restrictions in the
> Python license on redistributing it with your apps.  If you don't isolate
> your app from user whims, there's no guarantee it will continue to work
even
> if they install a single bugfix to a shared Python.  I don't know which OS
> you're targeting, but it doesn't sound like you've thought about the big
> picture here, be it Linux or Windows.  The more important the app, the
more
> important to cover your butt, and even pure bugfixes can break code that
> relied on accidents.

  I'd like to second that - as I stated earlier I never EVER distribute any
application as a script.  Only as a standalone distribution.  Standalone.
So it doesn't matter if
chickenbopmegafunction(j,k)['thefirstbit&&&otherone'] gives the division in
the new version - your standalone is perfectly fine.
  Note this is not a suggested change to division - although it ranks about
equal to some of the suggestions (anti-pep) that are serious...

  Glen.