Python: Database to Web Part II (and "teaching language")

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.net
Tue Jul 10 08:40:39 EDT 2001

"Fredrik Lundh" <fredrik at pythonware.com> wrote in message news:<14m27.2182$z21.428719 at newsc.telia.net>...
> Paul Boddie wrote:
>
> > Edward's right in one respect: stop concentrating on language issues
> > and start concentrating on library issues.
>
> are you sure "do what I want, not what you want" is a good way to
> get people to write software and give it to you?

Not really, but I don't think that even Mr Wilson was quite going to
that extreme... or perhaps he was, but his point illustrates a
seemingly increasing trend in comp.lang.python (or the python-list) to
discuss interesting new language constructs rather than applications
of the language itself. To offer opinions or proposals on language
change seems like an easy (and lazy) route for some people to take
when they will never come near to the implementation that would need
to be done to achieve that change.

To endlessly discuss the nature of a particular syntax, as we often
see with the subject of indentation, is pretty undemanding in
comparison to discussing and planning new frameworks where Python
actually gets used for something. However, it's a "well-known secret"
that much of the real discussion in terms of framework development
takes place well away from comp.lang.python.

The classic open source development principles of developing for
oneself, and people getting involved because it interests them and
addresses their needs, is great for those people who either have the
skill and resources to start a project from scratch and get somewhere
with it, or have the skill and resources to improve a project close
enough to meeting their needs, or can find a project which just
happens to meet their needs exactly.

The big open source question is: how can Mr Wilson, who either has a
skill or resources deficit (no offence intended, Edward), get involved
in the projects which are clearly close to his needs (but not close
enough) in order for his needs to be addressed? Can the open source
movement include everyone, or is it inherently elitist?

Paul