proposed language change to int/int==float (was: PEP0238 lament)

Terry Reedy tjreedy at home.com
Wed Jul 25 23:15:55 EDT 2001

"Guido van Rossum" <guido at python.org> wrote in message
news:cpd76pbpfh.fsf at cj20424-a.reston1.va.home.com...

Just to let you know that you are making some progress ...

> It's not just an aesthetic principle.  The currently / behavior is a
> design mistake that needs to be eventually eradicated,

With the metaphysical mists having mostly dissapated, I now agree with
this for Python.  I also believe that the similar behaviour of C is
correct for C.

> because it  makes writing reliable cood too hard and it makes
writing subtly
> broken code too easy.

This is because of Python's type system, which is considerably
different from C's.

>  The only way to do that is to bite the bullet
> -- otherwise Python will still have this problem in 10 years.

Agreed, better now than later.

Terry J. Reedy