Sybase module (was Re: Postgres support)

Dave Cole djc at object-craft.com.au
Sat Jul 7 01:21:00 EDT 2001

>>>>> "Tim" == Tim Churches <tchur at optushome.com.au> writes:

Tim> Skip Montanaro wrote:

Edward> Python needs a ready to use cross database module which
Edward> handles Oracle, DB2, SQL-Server, Sybase, and Informix.  If it
Edward> handles
>>  "Python Sybase" netted this:
>>
>> http://www.stecf.org/~npirzkal/python/sybase/

Tim> I think the Python<->Sybase module of choice would have to be the
Tim> Sybase module (alpha status notwithstanding) being developed by
Tim> Object Craft, who are based in Melbourne, Australia. See
Tim> http://www.object-craft.com.au

The alpha status of the current unannounced release is probably a bit
extreme.  Last week a bug was reported where Cursor.execute() would
fail after around 9000 different SQL commands over the same
connection.  It turned out that I had forgotten one important stage of
the finalisation of the dynamic SQL sequence.  The fix was the
addition of about five lines in the Sybase.py module.  Things seem to
be OK now.

At some time in the not too distant future I will be releasing 0.30
which will truely be an alpha release...

Tim> Ava Gardner quipped that Melbourne was a good place to make a
Tim> movie about the end of the world when she was filming the cinema
Tim> version of Neville Shute's "On the Beach" (in which the Northern
Tim> Hemisphere obliterates itself in a bout of mutually assured
Tim> thermonuclear destruction, with the Southern Hemisphere
Tim> eventually succumbing to radioactive fallout, but only after
Tim> plenty of soul-searching, a few bottles of Scotch and a brief but
Tim> passionate love affairs). Melbourne also appears to be a good
Tim> place to write Python modules.

Tim> Tim C Sydney, Australia

Much better Sydney in any event (sorry, couldn't resist).

- Dave

--
http://www.object-craft.com.au