Deposing Dictators

Rufus V. Smith nospam at nospam
Fri Jul 27 15:18:01 EDT 2001

"James Logajan" <JamesL at Lugoj.Com> wrote in message
news:3B61B01F.6C6B2B5D at Lugoj.Com...
> "Rufus V. Smith" wrote:
> >
> > "Robin Becker" <robin at jessikat.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> > > Oh dear I sense a humour deficit :(
> >
> > I think it was just an emoticon deficit.
>
> If the prose is well written or the readers well read, then there
shouldn't
> be a need for "emoticons". Of the hundreds of books I have, I don't think
> any of them make use of emoticons. But virtually all of them were reviewed
> by editors, so with Usenet you may need to supplement your writing with
> emoticons.

Of the hundreds of books you have read, there is no lack of context.

In these parts, lack of context is often a rule rather than exception.

Emoticons a are a (sometimes puerile) compensation.

> I suspect Mr. van Rossum is probably not in the happiest of moods, what
with
> his suggested changes being challenged from many people for various
reasons.
> This influence would color anyone's reading.

Really?  And I thought we infallible humans reacting uniformly and
predictably to
purely objective statements in our unambiguous printed language(s).

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&safe=off&th=1d9d3c24ba2f933d,40&start=
0

> Three years later the code base and programmer base are no doubt
> considerably larger, so the inertia against change has probably grown too
> large to deal with.

.. and the folks who are happy or even simply content don't generate the
equivalent
heat of the (minority) complainers.

Just staying in the game shows a strength of character, and (I'm betting) a
sense of humor, on the part of Mr. van Rossum.