Python--eclectic or ubiquitous

Konrad Hinsen hinsen at cnrs-orleans.fr
Mon Jul 2 11:54:37 EDT 2001

web2ed at yahoo.com (Edward Wilson) writes:

> write interactive games, parse XML, yet still can not perform the more
> basic tasks of hitting a database and generating a report.

Although I am not doing any of this myself, I know that others do. If
you feel that some particular interface module is missing, then

1) State precisely what you need and can't find. An interface to some
   particular database system? To some particular web server?

2) See what others have to propose.

3) If nothing suitable exists, try to create a group of developers
   that work on it.

The principle of Open Source software development is "take what there
is, add what you need, and make it available to the community".

In the meantime, please let those of us who work in domains that you
consider "eclectic" go on. There's room for all of us.

> champions are made of.  Python excels at everything except the basics,
> the very tasks which make it acceptible.

I don't think you will find many people in this group who share this
opinion. Python works very well for most of us. And when something
turns out to be less than perfect, we work on it. Just complaining
is not productive.
Konrad Hinsen                            | E-Mail: hinsen at cnrs-orleans.fr