Augmented Assignement (was: Re: PEP scepticism)

François Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Mon Jul 2 13:42:30 EDT 2001

[Steve Holden]

> Too late.  [...] Sorry.  Move on!

"Compatible with their previous mistakes."  This is the recurring expression
we used, at a place I once worked, to characterise some development decisions.

There have been a few design mistakes, recently, for the Python language.
Of course, I absolutely agree that many good things occurred simultaneously.

Python might not be what it used to be, for some aspects of it.  When people
start avoiding parts of the language as not acceptable, legibility is lost
through developments of dialects, and Python suffers in the long run.