Python -- Use with both COM & Java?

D-Man dsh8290 at rit.edu
Tue Jul 3 12:57:21 EDT 2001

On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 05:06:49AM +0000, Howard Dunlavy wrote:
| Hence my question.  Is Python something that could be used to create both
| COM object and EJB's, for instance (using JPython).

I have no COM experience, but I think that it is available directly
from Python only with CPython.  Java is, of course, available through
Jython (JPython is the old name).  You could use SOAP or ILU or
something to use both a JVM and CPython to get both Java and COM.  I
have also heard a little bit about COM from Java.  It may only exist
with MS's implementation of a JVM, but I have one application in
particular (Source Off-Site) that uses Java but has an MFC gui (on
windows).  Maybe that would help?  I also like Alex' suggestion of
having the interface be in 2 separate modules, one for COM and one for
Java, similar to the way the 'os' module in the standard library
works.  The core can be "pure Python" and not rely on either
interface.  This is probably the easiest way to go.

-D