error compiling python 2.1 and tkinter

Thomas Wouters thomas at xs4all.net
Sun Jul 15 10:52:34 EDT 2001

On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 01:40:13PM -0700, Rene Salmon wrote:

> Am hoping some here can help me or point me in the right direction.

> I have and Irix 6.5.11 machine. I can install the default Python2.1 no
> problem.  But I just installed TCL/TK 8.3.3 and would like to use
> TKinter with it.  So I edited the Modules/Setup file to enable tkinter

Halt, stop, wait, stop, halt. Python 2.1 comes with a distutils-based Python
script to build as many optional modules as possible, including Tkinter. It
doesn't build PIL or TOGL for you (at least, not that I'm aware of) but it's
a lot easier to use! Just remove the Setup file you edited, run 'make
distclean', 'configure' and 'make' and it should build Tkinter for you. If
it doesn't find Tcl/Tk, you can start by filing a SF bugreport to
complain ;) and possibly edit 'setup.py' to make it search in the right
location.

Of course, it is possible that the automated build of Tkinter will run into
the same problems...

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at xs4all.net>