webbrowser module reveals a Netscape bug.

Martin Franklin martin.franklin at westerngeco.com
Fri Jul 6 06:18:52 EDT 2001

Good to hear you got a fix you may want to consider Opera
here is a webbrowser opera class......(relativly untested)

from webbrowser import *

class Opera:
    def _remote(self, action):
        cmd = "opera -remote '%s' >/dev/null 2>&1 &" % (action)
        rc = os.system(cmd)
        if rc:
            import time
            os.system("opera &")
            time.sleep(PROCESS_CREATION_DELAY)
            rc = os.system(cmd)
        return not rc

    def open(self, url, new=0):
        if new:
            self.open_new(url)
        else:
            self._remote("openURL(%s)" % url)

    def open_new(self, url):
        self._remote("openURL(%s, new-window)" % url)

register("opera", Opera)