ImportError: No module named _socket

Iain Hallam mamidsh at bath.ac.uk
Tue Jul 17 07:55:33 EDT 2001

Hi.

I've only just started using Python and attempted the default install on
a Solaris 2.6 box here at university. Everything seemed to work OK
(considering I was only testing it by running "Hello World!" type
programs) and the sysadmin kindly installed it system wide.

I've just downloaded the ping modules by Jeremy Hylton, and they import
the socket module. All well and good - it's in
/usr/local/lib/python2.1/socket.py - but the line that imports _socket
fails. Could someone tell me where I can find this module in our
install, please?

Thanks,

Iain Hallam.