PEP0238 lament

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Mon Jul 23 12:07:17 EDT 2001

Tim Peters wrote:

> Good thing you stopped before mentioning Perl (yes, 1/2 is 0.5 there)
> -- I'm
> afraid the "mimic other languages" approach requires picking languages
> very
> carefully if you want the illusion of consistency.

Only fairly strongly-typed languages are relevant here.  Perl doesn't
have a concept of types at this level, so 1 and 1.0 and even "1" are all
the same thing.

> By the way, 1/2 is also
> 0.5 in standard JavaScript:

I wouldn't think how JavaScript does things would be a valid defense in
any case.

/  \ I wonder if this grief will ever let me go
\__/ Sade
    blackgirl international / http://www.blackgirl.org/
 The Internet resource for black women.