Typing system vs. Java

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Tue Jul 31 13:17:18 EDT 2001

"Chris Barker" <chrishbarker at home.net> wrote in message
news:3B66E4FA.158E7DDA at home.net...
[ ... ]
> Even without any static type declaration, the homogenous sequence could
> be possible. It would be pretty easy for tuples, since they are
> immutable. Even for lists, at every append, the type of the appended
> object could be checked, and the homogenous flag turned off if the type
> doesn't match.
>
> Does anyone else think this could be a good idea???

It's a good idea, but given that the compiler we use daily doesn't yet even
do numerical constant folding, and adds two integers together every time it
uses (2+3) there is clearly a long road to hoe before we see progress.

optimization-is-boring-when-there-are-other-development-choices-ly y'rs  -
steve
--
http://www.holdenweb.com/