PEP0238 lament

mcherm at destiny.com mcherm at destiny.com
Wed Jul 25 18:19:14 EDT 2001

> If Guido does change Python in the way it currently appears it will,
> and if so many people disagree with the way it is developing, then
> why not stand up and call for people to ignore the dictator, and
> keep Python the way it should be?
>
> This new version of Python will not be one that I will be happy to
use.
> If there are enough people who feel as I do, then perhaps we will be
> able to depose the dictatorship, and create a stable and sensible
> system for developing Python (not Python++). If this means forking
> Python, then that will be done.

I just wanted to say two things.

  1. I'm really glad that Python is open source, so that you have
     the ability to do exactly this, WITHOUT a revolution. Just
     fork the code anytime you like.

  2. It's clear that this issue brought forth a GREAT deal of heat
     and vociferous arguments on all sides. There are good reasons
     for that. Many people were scared (perhaps rightly so) that
     Guido was precipitiously making a dangerous/unwise change.
     However, at this point (only a FEW DAYS LATER), I have the
     impression that the matter is being considered carefully, that
     all opinions have been listened to, that great care will be
     taken in making code-breaking changes, and that decisions are
     being made with an eye toward improving the language. In
     short, after backsliding momentarily, Guido has impressed me
     once again.

-- Michael Chermside