New PEP: Quality Guidelines For Standard Modules

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Mon Jul 2 08:31:54 EDT 2001

Carlos,

Good start on the PEP.  A couple comments.

In the final PEP I think you will need to have code examples or point to
specific compliant modules as examples.  That will make it easier for people
who won't bother to read and understand the entire PEP to write compliant
code the first time.  For example, you wrote:

     4. Class names SHOULD be written in mixed case.

This could be either missed or interpreted by lazy programmers as any of

    mixedCaseClass
    MixedCaseClass
    mIxEdCaseCLASS
    Mixed_Case_Class

or any of a zillion other possibilities.  I suspect you only meant the
second case.

Also, in the References section you should refer to Guido's style guide:

    http://www.python.org/doc/essays/styleguide.html

In fact, you may want to pilfer some content...

--
Skip Montanaro (skip at pobox.com)
(847)971-7098