Is Python Dead? Long Live Python!

Kemp Randy-W18971 Randy.L.Kemp at motorola.com
Wed Jul 11 16:35:44 EDT 2001

I really can't speak for Ruby or PHP, as I can only work on the assumption that the gentleman that wrote the original work has accurate information.  But I also wonder about that.  How does PHP compare, in comparison to ASP, JSP, and Cold Fusion?  JSP is free if you run Tomcat, PHP is free, and APS is free if you run Windows and IIS.  The only one I question is Cold Fusion, which costs a few thousand.  And as far as Ruby goes, how many of those business needs lie outside Japan?  And Sun has picked up other big names (has anyone heard of IBM and Oracle?) on the J2EE bandwagon.  To set the record straight, I am pro Python.  But it is hard to get others at my company on that bandwagon.  I have a hard enough time selling Perl.