proposed language change to int/int==float (was: PEP0238 lament)

Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk qrczak at knm.org.pl
Fri Jul 27 11:49:05 EDT 2001

28 Jul 2001 02:17:57 +1200, Paul Foley <see at below> pisze:

> Paul> The most obvious problem is that it implies that every rational
> Paul> can be represented as a float -- this is *severe* brokenness you
> Paul> don't need.  [I think it also implies that floats with integral
> Paul> values (1.0, etc.)  should turn into integers.]
>
>> You can't do that.  Suppose that value you think is 1.0 really got truncated
>
> Yeah; that's exactly my point!

But my model never treats a float as an integer, even if it's equal
to 1.0. Where does it give a wrong answer? It doesn't claim that
rationals are exactly representable as floats and doesn't implicitly
turn floats into rationals. What's wrong with it?

--
 __("<  Marcin Kowalczyk * qrczak at knm.org.pl http://qrczak.ids.net.pl/
 \__/