Case insensitivity

Guido van Rossum guido at digicool.com
Fri Jul 20 09:51:45 EDT 2001

> > So I'd say, please don't change the language itself, but it would be
> > interesting to see experiments on a friendly python-oriented editing
> > environment (to simplify things like finding modules and documentation,
> > importing, reloading, etc.).
>
> Guido, isn't this the sort of environment you mentioned in your
> back-to-the-future-type-article in Linux Journal?  A programming
> environment built around Python but optimized for the novice
> programmer?

Yes.

> You seem to want to change the core of the language every other day.

Eh?  Evolution of the language is inevitable.  We *need* to fix old
design mistakes.  When it's possible to do so without breaking old
code, everybody cheers.  Sometimes it's not possible without breaking
old code, and then I try my darndest to find a way that will let old
code work.

> I've been there myself, on other projects... everything works correctly
> and is almost perfect, but being a programmer you want to change
> SOMETHING just to be fiddling with it.  "Almost perfect" is about the
> best anyone in the Real World can hope for.

Sorry, that's not the affliction I am suffering from.  I know very
well that Python will always be an 80% solution, and I'm happy to
leave well enough alone.  There just are areas where I think future
generations would thank me if I fixed it now...

> I've said it before, and I'll say it again... thanks with all my heart
> for the best programming language I've ever worked in.

You're welcome.