"installing" sources on windows

Mike Haspert mike_haspert at credence.com
Wed Jul 18 14:16:08 EDT 2001

Hi all:

What is the consensus on the safest, most efficient way to "install"
on Windows when you build the interpreter from source??
Is there a script somewhere that helps with the registry?
(I found regsetup.py, which I thought was for "installing" the windows
extensions.)

I've tried
1.    Building the sources and manually making registry entries. OW.
2.    Running the install program for the non-source download, which
sets up the registry. I then unzip the sources to a different
directory, batch build, and, as a post-build step, copy the DLLs,
PYDs, and EXEs to the expected directories in the non-source
download,overwriting the old ones. Seems to work, and allow tracing
into the interpreter, but is bulky, and I fear it will be fragile.
3.    Running the install program for the non-source download, which
sets up the registry. I then swap in the source code tree and edit
registry entries.  This looked like it would work until PythonWin
complained "correct the install", and I couldn't figure out what it
wanted.