re bad leadership

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Tue Jul 24 19:24:06 EDT 2001

Ben Wolfson wrote:

> So why not swap the proposed meanings of // and /?  I realize this is
> the
> third time I've said this but I think it would silence a lot of
> objections
> and no one seems to have noticed the other two times.

I suspect the reason that this otherwise reasonable proposal sort of
defeats the purpose of PEP 238.  The idea is to make Python more
intuitive to a novice by having the obvious division operator not do
integer division, so if you swap / and // in PEP 238, it means that a
novice programmer has to use // to get the behavior that's supposedly
easier to understand, which sort of misses the goal.

I suspect this wouldn't be considered a reasonable counterproposal for
that reason (even though it sounds fine to me, but then I don't
subscribe to the conclusions of PEP 238 in the first place).

/  \ Who, my friend, can scale Heaven?
\__/ _The Epic of Gilgamesh_
    Physics reference / http://www.alcyone.com/max/reference/physics/
 A physics reference.