PEP0238 lament

Ben Wolfson rumjuggler at cryptarchy.org
Mon Jul 23 13:11:10 EDT 2001

On Mon, 23 Jul 2001 12:21:58 +0100, Steve Horne <sh at ttsoftware.co.uk>
wrote:

>Integers are much more used in scripting code than floats - subscripts
>and loop indices being the main culprits. Integer division happens
>quite a bit. All that code is just going to suddenly stop working. How
>nice.

If integer division is more common than float division, why not let '/'
retain its current meaning and use '//' for "yes, I want a float result"?
int / int -> int
float / int, int / float, float / float -> whatever these currently mean
with "//" in Guido's patch
int // int -> float, rational, or whatever

--
Barnabas T. Rumjuggler
No man can run so fast that he can escape his own past's projectile vomit.