Alternate numeric proposal

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Mon Jul 23 02:45:00 EDT 2001

Chris Gonnerman wrote:

> I have been following (and participating) in the integer division
> argument for some time (and a divisive one it is, too), and while
> standing in the shower (really!) an idea came to me.
>
> Why don't we add a hook to Python to control the numeric evaluation
> rules directly?
> The module writer says, HEY, what about me?  I need consistent math
> in my module!

That's exactly the problem here.  One of the primary reasons people are
objecting to the change is because it means a fundamental change in the
core language:  a builtin operator behaves differently.  The solution is
not generalizing all builtin operators, certainly -- that makes the
problem infinitely worse.

/  \ There is nothing stronger in the world than gentleness.
\__/ Han Suyin
    Erik Max Francis' bookmarks / http://www.alcyone.com/max/links/
 A highly categorized list of Web links.