Python 2 times slower than Perl

Imbaud Pierre pierre at saiph.com
Mon Jul 30 06:41:49 EDT 2001

Skip Montanaro wrote:

>     Christopher> I can't speak for Perl, but Python definately does not
>     Christopher> evaluate the expression at compile time.  This is a problem
>     Christopher> I've had with Python.  I wish that when given the -O option
>     Christopher> the compiler would do constant subexpression elimination.
>
> It's rare in normal Python code to actually see a constant expression
> computed inside a loop.  Fortunately, it would appear most folks aren't that
> dumb, so while you can take steps to eliminate them, there aren't generally
> going to be very many to eliminate.
What about a constant used only by a function, which function can be
called in loops?
When performance is important, I use to define such constants in the
module, out
of the function definition: I trade readability for performance. smart
optimisation
(evaluate not at compile time, but once at runtime) sure wud help.

--
Pierre Imbaud <pierre at saiph.com>
12 Rue des Bosquets 91480 Quincy Sous Sénart France