Redirecting input?

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Tue Jul 3 12:14:44 EDT 2001

>From the Python 2.0 Library Reference Manual:

"""6.11 getpass -- Portable password input

The getpass module provides two functions:

getpass ([prompt])
Prompt the user for a password without echoing. The user is prompted using
the string prompt, which defaults to 'Password: '. Availability: Macintosh,
Unix, Windows.

getuser ()
Return the ``login name'' of the user. Availability: Unix, Windows.
This function checks the environment variables $LOGNAME, $USER, $LNAME and
$USERNAME, in order, and returns the value of the first one which is set to
a non-empty string. If none are set, the login name from the password
database is returned on systems which support the pwd module, otherwise, an
exception is raised."""

getpass() looks like what you need.

regards
 Steve