Language change and code breaks

Aahz Maruch aahz at panix.com
Fri Jul 27 16:45:09 EDT 2001

In article <cpr8v5a8h5.fsf at cj20424-a.reston1.va.home.com>,
Guido van Rossum  <guido at python.org> wrote:

>I have changed my mind.  I think that if I had to start over, I would
>indeed try my hands at a case-insensitive language aimed at teaching
>programming to beginners, with tools to enforce case consistency.
>Given that nobody else who currently uses Python thinks this is a good
>idea, I then settled on a case-sensitive language with case-preserving
>tools.  But now I think neither is worth fighting for.

I second Terry's comment: I think that if you produced a high-quality
toolset, no fighting would be needed.  Indeed, that is the measure of
the quality of Python itself; for all that we like needling the Perlers,
I think there is very little actual "fighting" to drive Python's
acceptance in the world.  Sometimes good does win mostly on its own
merits.

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6                 http://www.rahul.net/aahz/

Fortune cookie: Watch your relations with other people carefully, be reserved.