design patterns in python

Dinu Gherman dinu at reportlab.com
Fri Jul 13 08:24:25 EDT 2001

On Wed, 13 Jun 2001 11:49:14 -0400, "raskol" <raskol at hushmail.com>
wrote:

>Hey folks,
>
>Being interested in looking at (and understanding) design patterns [GOF] in
>python... and having gone through the obligatory google searches etc.. I am
>still somewhat frustrated by the lack of currently available information
>relating to this specific subject. I mean there ARE some smatterings of
>implementation and insight, but as of now there is no single source for
>python patterns that has developed anything like authoritative mass or
>actually succeeded in 'comprehensively' covering the patterns in GOF book.
>
>Being a newbie, still a minor snakelet, I was wondering if there would be
>interest in an effort by some of the more lucid pythonistas out there to
>contribute their offerings to some central source: say the python cookbook
>or sourceforge or whatever. twould be a great service to the community!
>
>BTW I found this to be a useful link for an overview of the situation:
>http://thinkware.se/cgi-bin/thinki.cgi/PythonPatterns

Well, there used to be a Python Pattern-SIG:

  http://www.python.org/sigs/pattern-sig/

At some point Guido shot it down, because it was too silent
and, in fact, it wasn't producing anything useful like a Python
Catalog of Python Idioms, Pattern and Frameworks, which,
in retrospect, it should have had as a real mission statement,
I guess.

Back then it was said that pattern issues were discussed in
a sufficient manner on comp.lang.python. I'm still not so happy
with that, because this is a place to get easily lost, but YMMV
and there are other sigs with only very few messages per month.

Hmm, maybe someone wants to get it going again?!

Dinu

--
Dinu C. Gherman
dinu at reportlab dot com