Time for a Python "distribution" ? was:Not enough Python library development

Brian Quinlan BrianQ at ActiveState.com
Thu Jul 5 17:26:58 EDT 2001

Chris wrote:
> My proposal is to create a Python "Distribution" that includes a
large
> collection of what are becoming standard modules, but are
> maintained by folks other than the core Python team. I'm modeling
this
> idea on the Linux Distributions: the kernel developers don't make
any
> effort to package up Linux as a useful system; other organizations
do
> that. There are now a lot of them, and some are substantial
commercial
> enterprises, but it all started with SLS and then Slackware, etc.

ActiveState has kindof done done this already with ActivePython
(http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Downloads/ActivePython/).

ActivePython includes, alone with the base Python distribution, a
utility that allows you to install 3rd party modules. On Windows, the
list of available modules includes:

FFTPACK
MySQL
Numeric
MySQL
PyXML
calldll
py2exe
pyperl
tk
(and a bunch of others)

To install a module, all you have to do is type:

pyppm install [package name]

The modules in any given installation may vary though, which is one
weakness of not having an inclusive standard distribution.

--
Brian Quinlan
Python and XSLT Developer

ASPN - ActiveState Programmer Network
Essential programming tools and information
http://aspn.ActiveState.com/ASPN