Language Niches (long)

James Logajan JamesL at Lugoj.Com
Sun Jul 29 22:43:29 EDT 2001

Grant Edwards wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Jul 2001 21:44:37 +0100, Robin Becker <robin at jessikat.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
> >In article <mailman.996429234.13926.python-list at python.org>, Paul
> >Prescod <paulp at ActiveState.com> writes
> >> * For a long time, C was the only way to do system programming for Unix
> >
> >what language does one use nowadays.
>
> AFAIK, all Unix system programming is still done in C.  (At least
> that's true for the Unices I'm familiar with (SCO, Solaris,
> BSD, Linux).

Do language compilers and interpreters qualify as "system programming"?

In what language are the following languages most often written in (or often
exclusively):

Python
sh
Perl
tcl
Scheme
Java
VB

Does anyone seriously think that these will all be converted to some other
language in the next 10 years? Then ask yourself what one language every
programmer should at least be able to read.