PEP0238 lament

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Sun Jul 22 13:11:09 EDT 2001

    Guido> The reason for wanting / to return a float (or at least a type
    Guido> that can represent close approximations of numbers like 0.75) has
    Guido> been discussed many times before.  The summary of the argument in
    Guido> the PEP may not be complete, but I disagree with Arthur's
    Guido> assessment that integer division is not a problem -- the VPython
    Guido> folks have ample experience that it is.

Guido,

I just reread the PEP at

    http://python.sourceforge.net/peps/pep-0238.html

It looks like it hasn't been updated since March.  I see no support for the
argument that the current integer division semantics are confusing, only a
claim that the current semantics are a problem.  Perhaps there's a more
recent version of the PEP available that hasn't been released to the
website.

--
Skip Montanaro (skip at pobox.com)
http://www.mojam.com/