Version incomptabilities, code changes, __future__, etc

phil hunt philh at comuno.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Jul 12 19:26:05 EDT 2001

On Thu, 12 Jul 2001 13:41:31 -0400, Steve Holden <sholden at holdenweb.com> wrote:
>> > Unfortunately, Python is now released on a more restrictive
>> > liscense, which, in a future version, will require all Python
>> > programs to contact a Microsoft Certification server and
>> > present a Passport certification before executing. In order to
>> > ensure that everyone migrates to the new version of the software
>> > (to be released as soon as Microsoft finishes building the
>> > infrastructure), the migration will be mandatory.
>>
>> This "bon mot" needs more clarification.  This implies that Python will
>> only be available to the Windows community.  There are environments where
>> Microsoft Certification servers will never exist.  If there will now be
>> a component added to Python to only allow its use when authorized by a
>> Microsoft Certification server, then one may need to change or develop a
>> new solution set.
>>
>> I'm not particularly opposed to forking off a "Python for Microsoft
>> Windows Environments" or a "Python for Microsoft Certification Server
>> Environments" as long as there remains a Python for other communities of
>> interest.  If the latter is not going to occur, then I need to reconsider
>> whether or not Python is part of a viable solution.
>>
>That's OK. I'm working on a Python-to-Perl translator.

That sounds cool. What language is your translator written in --
I hear that bash has some really cool lexical analysis / parsing
libraries, so i suggest you use that to write the translater. If
you also need a run-time interpreter for the Perl bytecode, I suggest
you use JavaScript -- for example the user could just cut-and-paste
the bytecodes into a web form and click a button to run the output.
This would be cross=platform too, you could use the Netscape Javascript
on Unix and the IE Javascript on Windows. Good luck.

--
## Philip Hunt ## philh at comuno.freeserve.co.uk ##