Case insensitivity

Greg Ewing greg at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Thu Jul 19 23:21:06 EDT 2001

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> I apologize for my poor English -- I don't know what you mean by "an
> affection" or "an affect".

I think he meant "affectation", about which
www.wordsmyth.net has this to say:

Pronunciation    ae fihk te shEn

Definition 1.    falseness or superficiality of appearance or behavior;
pretense.

Synonyms         pretense (3) , artificiality {artificial (3)} ,
affectedness
                 {affected (2)} , pretentiousness {pretentious (1)}

Crossref. Syn.   show , mannerism , air

Similar Words    sham , show , unnaturalness {unnatural} , posturing
{posture (vi)}

Definition 2.    a specific instance of such pretense.

Synonyms         mannerism (2) , airs (5) , pose1 (2) , show (4)

Crossref. Syn.   act

Similar Words    imposture

Related Words    camp , pomp , cant , pretense , claptrap

Christchurch, New Zealand
http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/~greg