How to run codeobjects in Python?

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 14 17:47:49 EDT 2001

"Matthew Dixon Cowles" <matt at mondoinfo.com> wrote in message
news:slrn9l15i0.qi.matt at happy-hour.mondoinfo.com...
> On Sat, 14 Jul 2001 16:25:05 +0200, Alex Martelli <aleaxit at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> >The latest issue of the Economist magazine has an in-depth survey of
> >Italy
>
> [. . .]
>
> >it starts out with a Paean titled "What a lovely off place!"
>
> A rare typo has escaped Alex's keyboard here. It's "odd", rather than
> "off".

Not so rare, but, yes, my typo (funny, I _thought_ I was copying
and pasting from their site...).

> I haven't yet read any of the survey (The Economist arrives a little
> late here in the colonies)

So get on the net, already.  www.economist.com is one of the
best sites I know, and as a printed-Economist subscriber you
get full access to the site too.  My only wonder is why they
didn't use Python on their site (especially considering they're
mostly owned by the same publishing outfit that owns New
Riders, who publish the Essential Reference...:-).

> but it seems likely that they're making a
> small joke about what a British tourist might say. And while I
> wouldn't be surprised to hear some things in Italy called odd, I would
> be surprised to hears someone say that the country was "off".

Why?  Anybody from Forza Italia might say Italy is "off and running"
now that we've elected Berlusconi, anybody against FI might say
we're off our rocker to have elected him, so...:-)

Alex