PEP0238 lament

Arthur_Siegel at rsmi.com Arthur_Siegel at rsmi.com
Sun Jul 22 12:01:08 EDT 2001

Before going further in attempting to contribute to the
discussions of Pep238  (or case sensitivty) allow
be to present my credentials.

None, to speak of.

Except that I've been through the program.  Guido's
program.  His language. His environment.  His
tutorials.

I think with some success.

Participate little on python-list, because much of
what goes on is over my head.

But on the question of learning programming with
Python - as I mention, been through the program.

Here the issues are  under my nose, not
over my head.

I particpate actively on the edu-sig list, because
I understand my success could be other's success.
Am a big supporter of Guido's CP4E ideals.

Yet despite the gratitude I try to keep in mind,
I clash consistently with Guido on CP4E - sometimes
in unpleasant ways.

Can only hope he appreciates at some level that I
bring some passion to the table on some common
goals.

Because that clash now spills over to the Python list.

Since I have convinced myself that not only do I
object to the rationale and evidence gathering behind
the integer division change - I am going to step up
and be arrogant enough to say that I am against it
as a design feature,  in light of the only aspect of Python
design about which I would dare to speak - CP4E goals.

3 / 4 = 0
3.0 / 4 = .75

Something important is going on here. I have a decent
understanding of what that is. Enough to get me by in
the real world.

I came to It -  having already understood that I would
only get so far if I expected it all to come to me.

That reckoning has been put off an hour ot two  for the
Python 2.2 learner, with a measurable cost.

Pity  for the Python2.2 learner.

Quite well realize that I am not  saying anything that
hasn't  been said before on the issue.

But disappointed to never have  heard the counter
argument from Guido - what put the issue over the
top for him?

If I was told that experinced programmers might
appreciate this change for any possible reason -
I'd be quiet as a mouse.

Since I remain convinced that the single most important
factor for Python's acceptance as an educational language is
the growth of its  acceptance as a professional language.

It will be interesting to see where Guido chooses to draw
the line on the thought process that lead him to his integer
division conclusion.

Which is the real issue - the integer division thing, stand-alone,
not likely to be a deal breaker for anyone.

Like to believe that there is more real world thinking
than Guido chooses to share publicly.

Alternatively,  I'm baffled as hell.

ART