Cross-platform GUI app -- Tkinter?

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Fri Jul 13 08:38:21 EDT 2001

	www.wxpython.org (IMO)

> Actually, do I need the expensive book?  Is there a web site you like that
> explains Tkinter well?

I guess a good book will be worth the price.

> In a perfect world, I'd like my Python program to be compiled to Java
> bytecodes and thus theoretically portable anywhere.  Does the use of
> Tkinter make this impossible?

Java is not as portable as you might think.
When you start depending on libraries it gets system dependend
pretty fast. Even C might be more portable.

> I know I could use GLADE to design my app, and it would run great in Gtk+
> on Linux... if Gtk+ has been made portable to other systems (Win32, Mac)
> then Gtk+ might be better for me than Tkinter.

Gtk+ runs on W32 platforms.

I generally recommend wyPython because of two major reasons:
	- uses native widgets
	- is not just a widget set, but an application framework

Bernhard

The FreeGIS Project                                         (freegis.org)
FSF Europe                                            	  (fsfeurope.org)