Python speed

jcm grumble at usa.net
Wed Jul 11 09:14:38 EDT 2001

Greg Jorgensen <gregj at pdxperts.com> wrote:
> "jcm" <grumble at usa.net> wrote in message
> news:9ifo90$4hh$1 at news.mathworks.com...

>> Well, I say this because I've written a mud engine in Python and it's
>> slow.

> I drove my motorcycle around Laguna Seca, and it was slow. Maybe if I bought
> a different brand of motorcycle I could go around the track faster.

Well that's just silly.  That's a bad analogy, for reasons that should
be obvious.

Also, recall that I said my ONLY point was that cpu-bound performance
CAN become an issue.  That is, depending on what you want your mud to
do, you may find Python to be slow.  I've spent time trying to squeeze
more performance out of Python, but was unable to speed things up to a
point where I was happy.  I didn't bother posting my source code,
because I'm personally not interested in looking for further
optimizations.  Feel free to email me if you want it, but I doubt it's
worth your time.