New PEP: Quality Guidelines For Standard Modules

Courageous jkraska1 at san.rr.com
Mon Jul 2 02:25:52 EDT 2001

Seems like a good start. I only have one objection:

>     1. Standard Modules MUST not rely on global variables to keep
>        state information, except when it is absolutely required.

When writing language requirements, one MUST not use the
term "MUST" in conjunction with an "except". And in any case,
I disagree. Emphatically.

The use of a singleton pattern changes nothing unless every
call to the module has the singleton as its first argument. And
if you're envisioning storing the singleton as a global, nothing
has been accomplished. There's a global.

Perhaps you could make a better case for why you think this
is even important.

C//