proposed language change to int/int==float (was: PEP0238 lament)

David Eppstein eppstein at ics.uci.edu
Thu Jul 26 22:16:37 EDT 2001

In article <U_387.50579$Cy.6523947 at news1.rdc1.az.home.com>,
 "Tim Hochberg" <tim.hochberg at ieee.org> wrote:

>    * Addition of a rational literal (PEP 240)? This one you could easily
> dislike a lot. But if your really super concerned about the evils of
> inexatitude, you'll probably like this more than I do.

Actually, I do dislike this.  Much as I find floats generally useless, I
think that 0.666667 should return a float, and that if I want to write a
rational literal I should be able to write it as 2/3.

Also it is odd that the abstract discusses modifying division to return
rationals but that the rest of the PEP is entirely about what to do with
decimal strings.
--
David Eppstein       UC Irvine Dept. of Information & Computer Science
eppstein at ics.uci.edu http://www.ics.uci.edu/~eppstein/