time.strftime BUG?

Graham Ashton graham at coms.com
Sun Jul 8 18:31:53 EDT 2001

In article <mailman.994491312.28840.python-list at python.org>, "Roman Suzi"
<rnd at onego.ru> wrote:

> 'MSD'
> '+0000'

> While I believe the later should be:
> '+0400'

I'm a bit confused by this too.

ratchet% python
Python 2.1 (#7, Jun 24 2001, 18:32:35)
[GCC 2.95.2 20000220 (Debian GNU/Linux)] on linux2
>>> import time
>>> time.strftime("%z")
'+0100'
>>> time.strftime("%z", time.localtime(time.time()))
'+0000'

What gets me is that (according to the way I read them) the docs say
the two satements above should return the same thing.

  strftime(format[, tuple]) -> string

  Convert a time tuple to a string according to a format specification.
  See the library reference manual for formatting codes. When the time
  tuple is not present, current time as returned by localtime() is used.

--
Graham