proposed language change to int/int==float (was: PEP0238 lament)

Stephen Horne steve at lurking.demon.co.uk
Tue Jul 24 03:42:26 EDT 2001

On Mon, 23 Jul 2001 23:48:33 -0500, "Chris Gonnerman"
<chris.gonnerman at newcenturycomputers.net> wrote:

>Stephen seems not to want to have to admit to his boss that Python has
>changed
>the basic rules for division of integers.  I can grasp this... a proposal
>like
>mine, which allows for other numeric types to be dynamically added to the
>language, would be an easier sell:
>
>    Boss:  I heard Python was changing the rules for division of integers.
>        Are you sure we should be using such a stupid language?
>    SH:  No, boss, you've got it all wrong.  We have a new method for adding
>        numeric types, like rationals, fixedpoint, decimals, etcetera, and
>        is just happens that the default division mode changed as a
>        consequence.  I can easily add a single line of code to any old
>module
>        and Python will run it under the old rule.  No fault, no foul.
>    Boss:  Oh.  Well, carry on.

And *this* storyline would leave me 98% of the way to seeing the
change as no different to the (IMO) less scary case insensitivity
change - I've already expressed my reservations on the religious
aspects ad nauseum, but in the practical sense this would leave only
one minor problem.

The minor problem is finding the code - the only way I can trace all
these programs written over the last three years which have been
passed from person to person, and which have been modified by others
or which I just plain forgot I wrote etc is by sending out an email to
the whole company. If the change is as simple as above, I can find a
way to do this that saves face - there is no chance of an avalanche of
bugs, only that some people won't want to do the change themselves
giving me an excuse for an occasional half hours wandering about,
getting coffee, doing a no-brainer task and having a chat ;-)

Still not happy with the principle, and I still forsee problems for
people who's code is no longer neatly located in their actual company
, but in the case of my personal pratical issues - well, my blood
pressures down a bit anyway ;-)