Language change and code breaks

"Jürgen A. Erhard" juergen.erhard at gmx.net
Wed Jul 11 20:23:52 EDT 2001

    Peter> Steve Holden wrote re BDFL and int/int:
    >> That fact that *I* was unable to convince you leaves me feeling somewhat
    >> chastened about the qualities of my own criticism, however :-)

    Peter> Take heart: I suspect it was more than the one posting
    Peter> which had this effect!

    Peter> Perhaps one could say Terry's posting represented a
    Peter> crystallization of a number of concerns various people have
    Peter> had.  It worked for me too, and Guido's comments had
    Peter> previously already convinced me of the value of the change,
    Peter> in spite of my own concern of what it would mean in my
    Peter> area.

[Yeah, yeah, I can't shut up ;-)]

I hope the change does get done, with an appropriate use of the
__future__ statement as Guido outlined.

I had a script recently where I wanted to pass in a command line param
that could be a numeric ratio, s.th. like

   thescript --ratio=1/3

Now, what do I do with that?  I can't use 1/3, because that eval'd is
0.  So... either people need to specify a float (--ratio=.3333... not
very good looking) or I have to do some magic inside the script (look
whether the ratio contains a /, split, float() on part, and merge)

If 1/3 gave the obvious result, all would be well.

Bye, J

PS: Guido said he has "second thoughts" and that "maybe" it's better
to leave it as is.  I still have hope ;-)

--
 Jürgen A. Erhard  (juergen.erhard at gmx.net, jae at users.sourceforge.net)
          My WebHome: http://members.tripod.com/Juergen_Erhard