PEP scepticism

Robin Becker robin at jessikat.fsnet.co.uk
Sat Jul 7 12:44:59 EDT 2001

In article <3B47256F.72FE6CD0 at engcorp.com>, Peter Hansen
<peter at engcorp.com> writes

>Perhaps the issue, then, is not the speed of discussion and
>implementation of individual changes, but the sheer volume of
>proposed changes.  Taken one at a time they all seem reasonable
>and harmless, maybe even useful, but as a whole they feel like
>an onslaught that could lead to a loss of "focus" as to the
>nature of Python.  They may dilute the language's (until now)
>clarify of purpose and style.  Frankly I'm worried.

I think you express my position rather well. I don't believe that the
users' needs are changing so fast,  rather I think that the user base
itself is changing and with the new users come new needs and perhaps
more and very different needs.

On the other hand I think the target user base should be a reasonable
one. I don't think python should be aimed at pre-schoolers. If there is
a target set who and what are they?

I think that the development process itself is a bit awry as there are
now more than 250 documents on requirements/changes etc and as you say
getting to grips with the totality of the changes is hard.

For 250 documents to exist there have to be too many cooks for smooth
development as many organisational studies suggest that best team sizes
are between 3 and 7.
--
Robin Becker