proposed language change to int/int==float (was: PEP0238 lament)

"Jürgen A. Erhard" juergen.erhard at gmx.net
Fri Jul 27 06:32:07 EDT 2001

[...]

    >> You're pissing off a fairly significant fraction of the
    >> language's existing constituency in hopes of attracting some
    >> non-programmers to the language who may not come anyway for
    >> various other reasons.

BTW, Skip, as I said in another message, I'd dispute the "significant
fraction".  Maybe it is, maybe it isn't... but volume doesn't make it
so.

    Tim> I don't detect any trace of that hypothesized motive in
    Tim> Guido.  He wants to repair what he has come to believe is a
    Tim> serious design error, and is wrestling with ways to get that
    Tim> done.  What a remarkably different world it would be if
    Tim> people tried to help <wink>.

By pure coincidence[1], just a couple days ago I looked up info on
Ido, the "improved" version of Esperanto.

And, well, it's interesting that some of the stuff Ido does
differently than Esperanto are ideas that Zamenhof had, but didn't
change in Esperanto.

Funny how similar that looks to the / situation... is Guido an
improved Zamenhof in the end? ;-)

Bye, J

[1] I think.  I'm not sure because I don't remember *why* I stumbled
upon Ido.  Could have been mentioned around here...

--
 Jürgen A. Erhard  (juergen.erhard at gmx.net, jae at users.sourceforge.net)
     MARS: http://members.tripod.com/Juergen_Erhard/mars_index.html