Comparison of different types does not throw exception

David Bolen db3l at fitlinxx.com
Fri Jul 13 15:24:38 EDT 2001

"Gordon Williams" <g_will at cyberus.ca> writes:

> A couple of people have brought up ordering of heterogeneous lists.  First,
> I don't know why anyone would want to do this.  (Can anyone give me an
> example where they have done this for a "real world" problem?).

I'm not sure if I've done this with a list solely of built-in types,
but I've definitely had lists of various subclassed object types that
implemented __cmp__.  In one case it wasn't so much used for sorting
as for comparing objects (that represented tasks) when trying to
decide what action to perform next.

I suppose if any proposed change was such that it continued to work if
the objects involved (even if different) did implement __cmp__ that it
wouldn't affect the sort of stuff I've done.  I'm guessing that's what
Guido's comment about "leave it up to the types" was implying.

--
-- David